How to care for your wedding rings.
How you care for your Irish wedding rings will determine their longevity. All rings will collect dirt and grease and that will make them appear less brilliant. Here are some tips to ensure the continued beauty of your rings.
GOLD Wedding Rings
• Separate your gold jewelry in a compartmentalized jewelry box or keep them individually wrapped. This protects them from getting scratched
• Remove all jewelry before showering or house cleaning. Soap can cause a film to form on your gold rings, making them appear dingy and dull. By preventing the formation of this film, you reduce the occasions your rings will need to be cleaned.
• To clean your rings at home, you'll find many commercial cleaners available. In addition, you will find a soft chamois cloth an effective and inexpensive way to keep your wedding rings lustrous and shining.
• Remove tarnish with a prepared jewelry cleaner or by using soap and water mixed with a few drops of ammonia.
• Brush with a soft bristle brush. An old soft toothbrush will work well. After the soaping, simply rinse with lukewarm water and allow to dry.
• Grease can be removed from gold rings by dipping the jewelry into plain rubbing alcohol.
Sterling silver will oxidize with time. Properly cared for silver improves with age and develops a patina.
SILVER Wedding Rings
• Do clean with a mild soap and water solution, allow water to bead up, and pat dry with a soft cloth. For stubborn dirt, a jewelry cleaner labeled for silver use is ok to use.
• Store your silver in a cool, dry place, preferably in a tarnish preventative bag or wrapped in a soft piece of felt or cloth.
• Store your silver individually so that they don't collide together and scratch.
• Don't rub silver with anything other than a polishing cloth or fine piece of felt.
• Don't expose to air and light when storing because it will cause silver to tarnish.
• Don't wear sterling silver in pools or hot tubs or other chlorinated water.
• Remove jewelry when applying makeup and face powder, perfumes, colognes or other lotions. Wash your hands before putting your rings back on.
• Wash hands after applying perfume, makeup and powder and before putting on jewelry. Keep your jewelry in a dry place.
• Don't wear your jewelry in pools or hot tubs.
• Don't wear your jewelry doing rough work.